- This event has passed.
How do NGOs navigate shrinking civil society space?
20 June 2019, 15 h 00 min - 16 h 30 min CEST
With NGOs facing more and more legal requirements and other restrictions on their activities in many parts of the world, many argue that civil society space is shrinking. Legislation on counter-terrorism measures, restrictions on NGO operations, and access to populations are impacting their day to day operations. How do NGOs perceive this shrinking space? How does it impact the ability of NGOs to operate, especially in conflict and complex emergency contexts? What are some of the measures taken by NGOs and other partners to respond to the current trends?
On 20 June, join us for ICVA’s and PHAP’s webinar on “How do NGOs navigate shrinking civil society space?” and hear from NGOs and different actors’ on current challenges and trends regarding civil society space. The discussion will provide an opportunity to have a broader discussion on how to connect and collaborate with other actors already working on shrinking space, possible counterstrategies, and ways forward.
This webinar will aim at answering the following questions:
- What measures are being put in place to restrict the operations of NGOs and how are humanitarian NGOs affected?
- What are NGOs and other actors doing to navigate shrinking and changing space for civil society?
- How can NGOs improve their engagement with other actors and partners and connect and collaborate?
This webinar is part of the “Navigating Change” Learning Stream which includes webinars, briefing papers, and other resources on how NGOs are managing changing global, regional, and national contexts for humanitarian response.
Although there is currently limited guidance available specifically for protection and logistics, here are a few useful resources to read before the webinar:
- Scoping Study: Civil Society Space in Humanitarian Action (ICVA, November 2018)
- “Civil Space Initiative” (CIVICUS)
- “Civic Space Initiative” (ICNL)
- Principles Under Pressure: The impact of counterterrorism measures and preventing/countering violent extremisms on principled humanitarian action (NRC, 2018)